from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Not feeling or showing gratitude; ungrateful.
- adj. Not likely to be appreciated: a thankless job.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. not appreciated or rewarded
- adj. ungrateful or unappreciative
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Not acknowledging favors; not expressing thankfulness; unthankful; ungrateful.
- adj. Not obtaining or deserving thanks; unacceptable.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Unthankful; ungrateful; not acknowledging kindness or benefits.
- Not deserving thanks, or not likely to be rewarded with thanks: as, a thankless task.
- Synonyms See grateful.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. not feeling or showing gratitude
- adj. not likely to be rewarded
That being said, natural charisma goes a long way and even in thankless, underwritten parts, my biggest complaint was that I wanted to see more of the characters.
KOINANGE (voice-over): Ten years of glitz and glamour, honoring the men and women who serve in what many here call a thankless profession.
European Powers is exhausted on Poland, and that neither pity nor shame will induce them to break a thankless neutrality, here; but in the face of all barely probable contingencies, I doubt no more of the ultimate result, than I doubt of the ultimate performance of the justice of God.
GOLDMAN: The BCS hired Hancock in 2005, partly because he had the right temperament for what one BCS official calls a thankless job.
Not only didn't he mind being given a job often described as thankless, but in real life David
The jobs, and many others that could be called thankless, fall to inmates at the Wicomico County Detention Center.
Hopefully, the best parts of this game will be imitated and improved upon by future games in the genre, adding real strategy back into a group of games now best known as a thankless grind for bigger and bigger numbers.
News at Eleven: Andrew Motion has said that the job of writing verse for the Royal Family is "thankless" and even gave him a case of writer's block.
As to your plea for sympathy about your "thankless" task, Alice, to put it bluntly, shove off.
I almost said "thankless", but that would not be true.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.