American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To prevent from accomplishing a purpose or fulfilling a desire; thwart: A persistent wind frustrated my attempt to rake the lawn.
- v. To cause feelings of discouragement or bafflement in.
- v. To make ineffectual or invalid; nullify.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To make of no avail; bring to nothing; prevent from taking effect or attaining fulfilment; defeat; disappoint; balk: as, to frustrate a plan, design, or attempt; to frustrate the will or purpose.
- To make null; nullify; render of no effect: as, to frustrate a conveyance or deed.
- To defeat the desire or purpose of; cause to be balked or disappointed; thwart.
- Synonyms Frustrate, Foil, Thwart, Baffle, Balk, are strong words, expressing the complete defeat of any plan or endeavor. Frustrate, to make vain, cause to be in vain, bring to naught. Foil, to stop, render useless. (Foil is not thought to be derived from the use of a foil in fencing, but is associated with it in many minds, and in meaning corresponds with the turning aside of a sword by the address of a fencer.) Thwart, literally, to stop by a bar or barrier, cross effectively, defeat. Baffe, to check at all points or completely and promptly, so that one is at a loss what to do. Balk, to stop in a course, make unable to proceed in a given direction. Perhaps baffle expresses most of confusion of mind or bewilderment, and balk most of annoyance or vexation.
- Vain; ineffectual; useless; unprofitable; null; void; of no effect.
- n. A weak contraction of the ventricle of the heart, the impulse of which is imperceptible at the wrist, giving the impression of intermittent pulsations.
- v. To disappoint or defeat; to vex by depriving of something expected or desired.
- v. To hinder or thwart.
- v. To cause stress or panic
- adj. vain; ineffectual; useless; nugatory
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Vain; ineffectual; useless; unprofitable; null; voil; nugatory; of no effect.
- v. To bring to nothing; to prevent from attaining a purpose; to disappoint; to defeat; to baffle
- v. To make null; to nullifly; to render invalid or of no effect.
- v. hinder or prevent (the efforts, plans, or desires) of
- v. treat cruelly
- From Latin frustro. (Wiktionary)
- Middle English frustraten, from Latin frūstrārī, frūstrāt-, from frūstrā, in vain. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Does such wordless expression frustrate emotional expression?”
“Messy plans like last minute calls frustrate me a lot.”
“Lack of holding calls frustrate Colts | IndyStar. com | The Indianapolis Star”
“The Obama administration would have to convince the WTO judges that the word "frustrate" in this provision means what the U.S. thinks it means.”
“Otherwise, he said, business would move to "frustrate" any pending legislation.”
“This is why it's frustrating when a blogger for Kidglue, a site that claims to help parents "engage their kids through popular culture," not only says all screens are equal and none necessary, but also that electronic devices only "frustrate" small children.”
“It's also incredibly sad and humorous that textbooks "frustrate" kids like Todd and find them a "time warp.”
“On Friday afternoon Jali ordered the provincial commissioner of correctional services in the Free State, Willem Damons, to send a circular to staff in his department instructing them to co-operate with the commission's investigation and not to "frustrate" its workings.”
“It criticized white commercial farmers for trying to "frustrate" the land reform process.”
“Roche said he intended to "frustrate" what the councillors were doing and later described as”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘frustrate’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Very basic words for ESL students.
the list of vocabularies from 1100 words you need to know Barron's.
These are the words that tickle my brain. Usually because they sound good or look great in an adequately chosen typeface.
Looking for tweets for frustrate.