American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To retard or obstruct the progress of. See Synonyms at hinder1.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To be an obstacle to; stand in the way of; hinder; obstruct.
- Synonyms To clog, retard, delay, check, fetter, hamper.
- v. to get in the way of; to hinder
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. To hinder; to stop in progress; to obstruct.
- v. be a hindrance or obstacle to
- v. block passage through
- From Latin impedire ("to shackle"), from pes ("foot") (compare pedestrian). First attested use as a verb was in William Shakespeare's Macbeth. (Wiktionary)
- Latin impedīre; see ped- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“All through the social mass run curious veins and streakings separating man from man and woman from woman; mysterious prerogatives and disabilities too ethereal to be distinguished by anything so crude as a title impede and disorder the great business of human intercourse.”
“Does the R behind my name impede you from having a true debate?”
“Belle - My comment not a criticism of the writer (you) as regards "impede" - I took it as quote from the "officials" and Best Buy people and it really lit my fire.”
“Does fear of that label impede including race in our aesthetic debates and in our poems?”
“Planning may, in other words, impede itself from functioning as its proponents claim it should.”
“Still, Pearson resists being grouped with other shorts, arguing he would rather be long Chinese stocks and expressing concern that the moniker will impede his access in China.”
“Al-Ansari lamented hoax calls impede the work of firefighters and might endanger lives of many people in case such calls coincide with real fire incidents.”
“About his first instance, "Misrepresentations to Congress", Cohen writes, "It is illegal to lie to Congress, and also to 'impede' it in getting information.”
“In fact go on, tell me how I.D. cards will "impede" any acts of terrorism or anything else remotely sinister?”
“And that lie will "impede" Americans "acting in concert" to the betterment of America (600).”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘impede’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
All words of the Lisbon Treaty
(Persons' names, foreign and grammatical words have been eliminated, MWEs have been split up into individual words. Capitalization has been retained if r...
List of most of the words I've learned
Looking for tweets for impede.