American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To cause to move or proceed slowly; delay or impede.
- v. To be delayed.
- n. A slowing down or hindering of progress; a delay.
- n. Music A slackening of tempo.
- n. Offensive Slang Used as a disparaging term for a mentally retarded person.
- n. Offensive Slang A person considered to be foolish or socially inept.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To make slow or slower; obstruct in motion or progress; delay; impede; clog; hinder.
- To defer; postpone; put off.
- Synonyms To detain, delay.
- To be delayed or later than usual.
- n. Retardation.
- n. Retardation; delay.
- n. slang, offensive A person with mental retardation.
- n. slang, offensive A stupid person, or one who is slow to learn.
- v. transitive To keep delaying; to continue to hinder; to prevent from progress; to render more slow in progress; to impede; to hinder
- v. transitive To put off; to postpone.
- v. transitive, obsolete To be slow or dilatory to perform (something).
- v. intransitive To decelerate; to slow down.
- v. intransitive, obsolete To stay back.
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. To keep delaying; to continue to hinder; to prevent from progress; to render more slow in progress; to impede; to hinder; ; -- opposed to
- v. To put off; to postpone
- v. obsolete To stay back.
- n. Retardation; delay.
- n. Colloq. and disparaging A mentally retarded person.
- n. Colloq. and disparaging a person who is stupid or inept, especially in social situations.
- v. lose velocity; move more slowly
- n. a person of subnormal intelligence
- v. cause to move more slowly or operate at a slower rate
- v. be delayed
- v. slow the growth or development of
- From Middle English, from Anglo-Norman or Latin, from Anglo-Norman retarder, from Latin retardāre ("to retard"), from re- + tardus ("slow") (Wiktionary)
- Middle English retarden, from Old French retarder, from Latin retardāre : re-, re- + tardāre, to delay (from tardus, slow).Short for retarded. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Look, I know the term retard is not politically correct but…”
“The same can be true of anyone who slips and uses the term retard or retarded.”
“Finally Jennifer Aniston used the term retard and everyone is up in arms about it.”
“Get your dumb "redkneck" ass off of the site you idiot non thinking retard, Oh! sorry that would be an insult to retards, you sub-human freak. (i only used the term retard for affect, i do not or cannott have ignorant positions like you, so let me be clear about that).”
“The term retard has evolved since the days people labeled others with special needs this word.”
“They have no credibility, so the chance that this retard is anything but a snotty little nerd in silicon valley who works sys admin is unlikely …”
“Now don't get me wrong, I clearly believe that using the term "retard" is offensive, however, in the context of the movie and the way it's presented, there is nothing wrong with it.”
“Melissa Wiley said ... it missed the point that "retard" is an insult thrown around promiscuously, so much so that the term "mentally retarded" is no longer used to describe those individuals who actually have mental disabilities”
“I can't believe this retard is even in office. shmeckel”
“It is like the proposition that Wealth redistribution efforts of the Government always lead to failure and again retard the economy.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘retard’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
This is just a list, right, that I'm gonna, like, fill with words, that, like, are every word that I can, like, think of with, ahhmm, my brain.
The worst of the bunch, bring um on
Words made of the following: qwertasdfgzxcvb. I've stood on the shoulders of giants... users mollusque and reesetee made similar lists before I even existed on Wordnik. :)
A rich collection of all the ways you can insult someone's intelligence.
GRE , GMAT , TOEFL , IELTS , SAT 。。。
Words which are highly likely to be found in the work of learned writers.
get these dude
This list include words to insult people in an argument. Does not include words that are profanity.
Looking for tweets for retard.