from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- Picard, Jean 1620-1682. French cleric and astronomer who made an accurate measurement of a degree of meridian and subsequently calculated the circumference of the earth (1668-1670).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. of, from, or relating to, Picardy
- n. Someone from Picardy
- n. A member of an Adamite sect of the sixteenth century and earlier, in the Flemish Netherlands and in Bohemia.
- proper n. A Romance language closely related to French
- proper n. A surname.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One of a sect of Adamites in the fifteenth century; -- so called from one Picard of Flanders. See adamite.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Eccles., one of a sect in Bohemia about the beginning of the fifteenth century, suppressed by Ziska in 1421.
- n. A shoe worn by men, introduced into England as the fashion of the French about 1720. It was high-quartered, and not unlike the modern brogan.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Have you ever seen the episode of Star Trek TNG when captain Picard is ordered to step down from the position of Captain of the Enterprise?
That, too, was a name Picard remembered from the report.
But Picard is not the only one involved in a cover up.
So, you know how the Borg were the coolest thing about Star Trek: TNG, right after Captain Picard and, um … Um. Well.
That was the summer that began with the revelation that Captain Picard had been assimilated by the Borg.
Or to Captain Picard, for that matter, in Nemesis?
Picard is open source and scriptable, leaving it wide open for tinkering to suit your needs.
A shaved head has helped actor Patrick Stewart ( "Star Trek" 's Captain Picard) extend his sexy years into his 70s.
Like to see Captain Picard do that – oh wait, he had that mud fight with his brother, that was cool.
Picard is made aware of his own mortality by the death of his loved ones.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.