American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The thin, brittle, exterior covering of the egg of a bird or reptile.
- n. A pale yellow to yellowish white.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The shell or outside covering of an egg: chiefly said of the hard, brittle, calcareous covering of birds' eggs. This shell consists mostly of carbonate or lime or chalk, deposited upon and in among the fibers of the egg-pod or putamen. It is a secretion of a particular calcific tract of the oviduct near the end of that tube. It may be nearly colorless and of such crystalline purity and translucency that the contents of the fresh egg show a pinkish blush through it, or very heavy, opaque, flaky white; whole-colored of various tones, as green, blue, drab, ochrey, etc.; or party-colored in many shades of reds, browns, etc., in endless variety of patterns. Besides the evident diversity of character in thickness, roughness, etc., the shell has many variations in microscopic texture, depending upon details of the deposition of the particles of lime in the pod. The shell of an ostrich's egg is so thick and hard that it may seriously wound a man if the egg explodes, as it sometimes does when addled, in consequence of the compression of the gases generated in decomposition.
- n. The shell around an egg.
- n. A pale off-white colour, like that of the eggshell.
- adj. Of a pale yellowish-whitish colour, like that of the eggshell.
- adj. Exhibiting the thinness, translucency or near-transparency, and fragility of an eggshell; as in eggshell porcelain.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The shell or exterior covering of an egg. Also used figuratively for anything resembling an eggshell.
- n. (Zoöl.) A smooth, white, marine, gastropod shell of the genus Ovulum, resembling an egg in form.
- adj. of a pale, yellowish-white color.
- adj. (Architecture) having a smooth but not glossy texture like that of a hen's egg. Also referred to as
matte glazeor non-lustrous glaze.
- n. the exterior covering of a bird's egg
- egg + shell (Wiktionary)
“At 500x magnification, the structure of an eggshell is revealed as a tangled network of mineralized fibers”
“Olives, sages, pale greys and blues: these colours were made for outdoor light, and Farrow & Ball now produces all its colours in eco exterior eggshell, which is wonderfully matt.”
“But an eggshell is a fortress compared to the feathers and gossamer skin that shield this minute nestling from all the evils of the world.”
“Peter answers by the simile of an eggshell, which is cunningly made, yet of necessity to be broken; so is the world, &c. that the excellent state of heaven might be made manifest.”
“She also managed to distribute nickel as an eggshell, which is extremely difficult.”
“Speaking of finishes, the Times does a fair job comparing satin aka "eggshell" and flat, but makes no mention of semi-gloss, which is often the best option for shelving, trim, and doors.”
“Even if you accept that we Brits might look alike to our Stateside counterparts - pallid and vaguely unkempt with teeth the wrong side of ''eggshell'' - this is a stretch.”
“It seems there are a million and one gorgeous styles on offer this year and my latest find is these adorable 'eggshell' wedges at Anthropologie.”
“The Kalahari Television Network is broadcast on a big eggshell screen.”
“Our Ratings of nearly 70 models are broken down by finish: satin/eggshell (best for most applications), flat/matte (ideal for low-traffic areas), and semigloss (targeting trim, doors, and shelves).”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘eggshell’.
A list of words which yield surprising, beautiful, amusing, or otherwise noteworthy images here on Wordnik.
Words with definitions containing "figuratively."
Words containing "she" but excluding words beginning with "she"
Vendors can get oddly creative.
Words that make me feel cozy
Words for things both tangible and nonanthropic
These chromonyms are defined as colors in at least one dictionary (mostly MW3). (Actually there's one fake, for reasons I'll explain someday.) They are all one-word nouns such as "kelly", which can...
These are words that I like; either because they sound amazing, mean pretty things, seem particularly suited to their assigned definition, or just have good mouthfeel. The best ones embody some com...
A big list of color names for use on wordrainbow.com
Looking for tweets for eggshell.