American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Resembling pearls.
- adj. Covered or decorated with pearls or mother-of-pearl.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Resembling a pearl in size, shape, texture, or color; pearlaceous.
- Resembling mother-of-pearl; nacreous: margaritaceous.
- Producing, containing, or abounding in pearls; margaritiferous; pearl-bearing.
- Dotted, flecked, or spangled as if with pearls; pearled.
- Clear; pure; glittering; translucent or transparent, as a color: as, pearly white.
- In the technique of the pianoforte, noting a touch that produces a clear, round, sweet tone, or noting a tone thus characterized.
- Clothes with large pearl buttons, worn by costermongers.
- In the manner of a pearl; like a pearl.
- n. uncountable, uncommon, dated A pale greyish white colour, tinted with blue.
- n. countable, UK, especially in plural tooth
- adj. Of a pale greyish white colour, tinted with blue.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Containing pearls; abounding with, or yielding, pearls.
- adj. Resembling pearl or pearls; clear; pure; transparent; iridescent.
- adj. of a white the color of pearls
- n. informal terms for a human `tooth'
- pearl + -y (Wiktionary)
“He doesn’t take comfort in pearly gates and angels.”
“These same tribes term the pearly drops of dew which cover the beautiful leaves of the heliconia 'star spit.”
“This is what we would describe as a well-circumscribed kind of pearly or waxy or shiny - looking bump that doesn't heal.”
“I allude to the phase of the aura which presents the "pearly" appearance of the opalescent body, which we have just noted.”
“As it was my job to lean out and whisper into the sentry's "pearly," I got rather exasperated.”
“There was a peculiar sheen all about the irregular sky-line; a kind of pearly whitening, as it were, of the heavens beyond, like to the effect produced by the rising of a very delicate soft mist melting from a mountain's brow into the air.”
“It had a singular kind of pearly look, and her long slender throat was almost of the same tone: no, not the same, for there was a transparency about her throat unlike that of the forehead.”
“The name perlite (also spelled pearlite) comes from the French word perle which means pearl, in reference to the "pearly" luster of classic perlite.”
“Phillip's Voyage to Botany Bay, by permission of the Proprietor_] [Transcriber's note: names of painter and engraver are only guesswork.] [Illustration: AM I NOT A MAN AND A BROTHER] "To call the pearly drops from Pity's eye,”
““You could still see a little bit of matter from the bodies, stuff that looked kind of pearly, and blood from the stomachs.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘pearly’.
A Russian Doll word is a word that, when you remove the first and last letters, is either the empty string, or a Russian Doll word. These are all of the 6 or more letter Russian Doll words found in...
( open list, visual, light, descriptive )
sparkle, shine, gleam, glisten, shimmer, gloss, pearly, opalescent, iridescent, prismatic, multifaceted, glow and 35 more...
just names of colors
Adjectives used in actual (non-taxonomic) bird names, past and present.
Describing blushes, blanches; plus skin colors
words about light
Looking for tweets for pearly.