Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to or like opal; also, like some property of the opal; specifically, having an iridescence like that of the opal; bluish-white, reflecting prismatic hues, as the wings of certain insects.
- n. A semi-translucent glass, whitened by the addition of phosphate of lime, peroxid of tin, or other ingredients.
- n. An opalina.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Of, pertaining to, or like, opal in appearance; having changeable colors like those of the opal.
- n. An opaline variety of yellow chalcedony.
- n. Opal glass.
- n. An opaline color or expanse.
- adj. having a play of lustrous rainbow colors
“His eyes were opaline, and he was built like a reed.”
“Structure in chromed steel and diffusers in opaline blown glass.”
“I was predisposed to try a few of the perfumes because of my adoration for its turn-of-the-century glass sculptures, particularly those made of opaline, the milky translucent glass with gold and blue fire swirling within.”
“The liquid was of an opaline hue, and bore a label with an inscription in Italian.”
“They leant over the table together, and the milkwoman could see the opaline hue of the egg-fluid changing form as it sank in the water, but she was not near enough to define the shape that it assumed.”
“Reading that description made my day: "His most striking features are his opaline green eyes, which can be both alluring or intimidating, as need be.”
“His most striking features are his opaline green eyes, which can be both alluring or intimidating, as need be.”
“Art glass: French Gallé picture frames; opaline boxes in white, green, turquoise.”
“Some of the stalls were piled up with wonderful fish, crimson, green, rose, blue, opaline — fish that have spent their lives in coral groves under the warm, bright water.”
“Within the mistiness was a core, a nucleus of intenser light — veined, opaline, effulgent, intensely alive.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘opaline’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Beautiful words for the things we sense.
"Words are very..."
The above was the original description for this list. Unfortunately, it doesn't convey much about the list contents.
I'm leaving you to draw your own conclusions abo...
Zoom'om'om; inspiration, vitality, solemness, and sunrays...
Hecko, words! I’m so happy I’ve found you. I want to keep you all and never want to lose you again. I hope you like it here.
Looking for tweets for opaline.