from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Grayish or flecked with gray.
- n. A grizzly bear.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Grey-haired, greyish.
- n. A grizzly bear.
- n. In hydraulic mining, a grating used to catch and throw out large stones from the sluices.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Somewhat gray; grizzled.
- n. A grizzly bear. See under grizzly, a.
- n. In hydraulic mining, gratings used to catch and throw out large stones from the sluices.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Somewhat gray; grayish.
- n. ; pl. grizzlies (-liz). 1. The grizzly bear, Ursus horribilis. See I.
- n. In mining: An arrangement in the sluices used in washing auriferous gravel for receiving and throwing out the large stones carried down by the current.
- n. In Australia, a coarse grating of timber for separating large pieces of quartz from the decomposed rock with which they are associated, in some of the forms of granitic dikes containing auriferous quartz peculiar to that region.
- n. A machine used for breaking coal or other material to a moderately small size.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. powerful brownish-yellow bear of the uplands of western North America
- adj. showing characteristics of age, especially having grey or white hair
A mama grizzly is a conservative woman with "common sense," as Sarah Palin puts it, someone who "rises up" to protect her children when she sees them endangered by bad policies in Washington.
I wonder if a grizzly is anything like a polar and can swim for miles out at sea?
ED HENRY, CNN WHITE HOUSE CORRESPONDENT: Wolf, nearly five years after vowing he'd get Osama bin Laden dead or alive, President Bush today acknowledged the terrorist is a major threat all around the world, taking the extraordinary step of quoting bin Laden's own words in letters to followers as well as what he called grizzly al Qaeda manuals to dramatize just how potent the terror group is right now, a delicate balancing act for this president.
While a few women have dominated the airwaves, some in grizzly gear, others armed with charts and graphs -- most of us are wondering what we can do to exponentially change the number of women in office, in leadership and in the pipeline at all levels of government.
In short, he was looked upon as a bald-faced grizzly from the Arctic wilds to whom it was considered expedient to give the trail.
The Daisy grizzly is youth sized, but the barrel is a smooth bore.
"A mama grizzly is like a grizzly bear out in her natural habitat where she's working really, really hard to feed herself and to feed her young ones."
Haley, who has two children but has never referred to herself as a grizzly, is just the sort of pro-business, low-tax, limited-government conservative Palin loves.
If you choose to hunt in grizzly country then you should be aware and be careful, or at least accept the possibility of danger.
Not all of this type of hunting is done in grizzly country, and prongorn hunting rarely is.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.