from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Becoming milky.
- adj. Milky.
- adj. Biology Secreting or yielding a milky juice, as certain plants and insects.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. milky
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Having a milky look; becoming milky.
- adj. Producing milk or a milklike juice or fluid, as the milkweed. See Latex.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Being or becoming milky; having a milky appearance or consistence.
- In botany, abounding in a thick milky juice, as the milkweed.
- In entomology, secreting a milky fluid, as the joints of certain Coleoptera.
Latin lactēscēns, lactēscent-, present participle of lactēscere, inchoative of lactēre, to be milky, from lac, lact-, milk; see melg- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin lactescens, present participle of lactescere (Wiktionary)