from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Inspiring repugnance; gruesome. See Synonyms at ghastly.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. horrifyingly repellent; terrifying, gruesome
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Frightful; horrible; dreadful; harsh
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Such as to inspire fear; frightful; terrible; gruesome; grim: as, a grisly countenance; a grisly specter.
- Frightfully; terribly.
- An obsolete spelling of grizzly.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. shockingly repellent; inspiring horror
Middle English grisli, from Old English grislīc; see ghrēi- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Late Old English grisliċ. Compare German grausen and Danish grusom. (Wiktionary)