American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or resembling a ghost, a wraith, or an apparition; spectral.
- adj. Of or relating to the soul or spirit; spiritual.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Having to do with the soul or spirit; spiritual; not of the flesh; not carnal or secular.
- Pertaining or relating to apparitions; of ghostlike character; spectral; supernatural: as, ghostly sounds; a ghostly visitant.
- Spiritually; mystically; mentally; with reference to the mind as contrasted with the sight.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Relating to the soul; not carnal or secular; spiritual.
- adj. Of or pertaining to apparitions.
- adv. Spiritually; mystically.
- adj. resembling or characteristic of a phantom
- From Middle English gostly, gastlich, from Old English gāstlīċ ("spiritual, holy, clerical (not lay), ghastly, ghostly, spectral"), equivalent to ghost + -ly. Cognate with Scots gostly, gastly, gaistlie ("spiritual, ghastly, terrifying"), West Frisian geastlik ("spiritual, clerical, religious"), Dutch geestelijk ("spiritual, clerical, ecclesiastical"), German geistlich ("spiritual, sacred, religious"), Danish geistlig ("ecclesiastical, clerical"). (Wiktionary)
“A full moon was drenching the mountains in ghostly light as some 60”
“The Palaeologi reigned in ghostly supremacy over the shreds and tatters of Byzantium until the Turks seized Constantinople in 1453.”
“Places Where Shadows Grow" gets into those stories the Sci-Fi Channel likes to mention in ghostly documentaries around the Halloween holiday season.”
“That indeterminacy is itself masked in ghostly reflections of a former paradigm.”
“Blank rectangular patches edged with reddish dust — ghost pictures in ghostly frames — showed where, no doubt, there had been photographs of the Shah and his family or his monuments.”
“Night came on, and a full moon rose high over the trees into the sky, lighting the land till it lay bathed in ghostly day.”
“I suspect that the feeling we call ghostly is but the sense of abandonment in the lack of companion life; but be this as it may,”
“After months chided in ghostly Twilight spoof spearheaded by Jimmy Fallon, Robert Pattinson is reportedly set to come face-to-face with the comedian on NBC’s Late Night next month.”
“You can see people when they take a shower," he says, referring to the ghostly silhouette visible from the ground floor and the stairwell.”
“I admit that there were some parts in the movie that freaked me out, namely the ghostly figures at the beginning of the movie that Rosa saw out of the corner of her eye.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘ghostly’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
This is Ghost List 2 ( the kind that go 'boo!' ) :P
( open list )
uncategorized words that I enjoy
We asked attendees who visited the Wordnik booth what their favorite words were, and these are what they told us. (AWP is an annual conference for writers and those in the writing world.)
Listening to this as an audio book for the second time. Tim O'Brien uses simple words and phrases to great effect. Very few unfamilar and big words . The writing style reminds me of words from Joh...
Words I like!
( personal list, favorite words, randomness )
The delicious wonderful words that I love terribly dearly and without which, the world would be a less inventive and worthwhile place. Also, ostensibly, the reason 1984 and esperanto secretly suck.
Looking for tweets for ghostly.