American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or characteristic of another world, especially a mystical or transcendental world: "The effect was dreamy, otherworldy” ( Gioia Diliberto).
- adj. Devoted to the world of the mind; concerned with intellectual or imaginative things.
- adj. Concerned with an afterlife, especially when inattentive to the present.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Governed in this life by motives relating to the consideration of existence in another and better world.
- adj. Of, concerned with, or preoccupied with a different world than that of the tangible here and now, such as a heavenly, spiritual, or imaginary world.
- adj. Not belonging to the real world; unnatural; odd and unfamiliar.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. existing outside of or not in accordance with nature.
- adj. Not worldly; preparing for or concerned primarily with the afterlife; -- of people.
- adj. existing outside of or not in accordance with nature
- otherworld + -ly (Wiktionary)
“Scientists today announced what they called otherworldly discoveries of strange communities of extreme microbes in hostile environments at the bottom of the sea.”
“People go to psychics, and believe in otherworldly beings such as angels.”
“It's easy to be mesmerized by the promise of deep-space exploration by astronauts in otherworldly space suits.”
“That's interesting, because Louisiana's leading candidate for Governor, Rep. Bobby Jindal (R-Kenner), has previously written about his belief in otherworldly entities such as angels, spirits, demons and "related phenomena".”
“There is nothing that might be called otherworldly about this ministry of Jesus.”
“She does look quite 'otherworldly' - a good match for Matt S.”
“The vision -- which i hasten to point out, is neither "religious" nor "otherworldly" -- feels like a"startling recognition.”
“The radiance that surrounded you can only be termed otherworldly.”
“Though I haven't left Earth, I'm standing in a place you could be forgiven for calling otherworldly: the Atacama Desert in northern Chile, a place hyped by boasters and travel agents as the driest environment on the planet.”
“Though I haven't left Earth, I'm standing in a place you could forgiven for calling otherworldly: the Atacama Desert in northern Chile, a place hyped by boasters and travel agents as the driest environment on the planet.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘otherworldly’.
This is Ghost List 2 ( the kind that go 'boo!' ) :P
( open list )
Anything with to do with the word "other," or any sort of otherness (including words with the letters o-t-h-e-r, in that order, in their definitions).
Words from Derek Jarman's garden
Words I like!
( personal list, favorite words, randomness )
Looking for tweets for otherworldly.