American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Not of this earth; preternatural; supernatural.
- adj. Unnaturally strange and frightening. See Synonyms at weird.
- adj. Ridiculously unreasonable or uncustomary; absurd: called me at an unearthly hour.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Not earthly; not terrestrial; supernatural; not like, or as if not proceeding from, anything belonging to the earth; unworldly; hence, weird; appalling: as, an unearthly cry or sight.
- adj. Not of the earth.
- adj. Non-terrestrial.
- adj. Preternatural or supernatural.
- adj. Strange, enigmatic, or mysterious.
- adj. Ideal beyond the mundane.
- adj. Ridiculous, ludicrous, or outrageous.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Not terrestrial; supernatural; preternatural; hence, weird; appalling; terrific.
- adj. concerned with or affecting the spirit or soul
- adj. suggesting the operation of supernatural influences
- un- + earthly (Wiktionary)
“Southern Tier's unearthly is an Imperial India Pale Ale that checks in at a huge 11% ABV.”
“We know that everything we are seeing is currently dreadfully wrong, that the people we are being introduced to will most likely either try to kill us or will die in unearthly ways, and and we will soon discover how haywire everything is.”
“The day had a certain unearthly beauty – most of our Memorial Days do have.”
“Think about and TV/movie underwater action--say, for example, Thunderball--the good ones actually manage to convey to you, through the moving pictures and the sound and the soundtrack, that we're some ultra cool "unearthly" realm.”
“Yet it had a kind of unearthly beauty that was all Sisay's own.”
“Dick also got his gun in readiness for instant action, and the boys were just about to fire when a noise, best described as "unearthly," smote their ears.”
“His odd colour and eyes gave a kind of unearthly tone to the interview.”
“That is what I call The Dream to myself, ` Out on the Hillside, 'as if it were a kind of unearthly poem.”
“One wonders if it is clearly understood how the "unearthly" element in Poe differs from the "unearthly" element in Shelley.”
“Once, in the impenetrable gloom of the midnight forest, Mackenzie was awakened by a plaintive chant in a kind of unearthly music.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘unearthly’.
Words that lend to the dark and dreary atmosphere of gothic literature.
words that evoke magic, mystery, mayhem, magnificence or anything else that glimmers in the grass
Looking for tweets for unearthly.