American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Of the nature of a miracle; preternatural.
- adj. So astounding as to suggest a miracle; phenomenal: a miraculous recovery; a miraculous escape.
- adj. Able to work miracles.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Exceedingly surprising or wonderful; extraordinary; incomprehensible: as, a miraculous escape.
- Of the nature of a miracle; working miracles; performed by, involving, or exhibiting a power beyond the ordinary agency of natural laws; supernatural.
- Synonyms Preternatural, Superhuman, etc. See supernatural.
- adj. Pertaining to miracles; referring to something that people can't explain.
- adj. By supernatural or uncommon causes, e.g. by a god (only used when positive).
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Of the nature of a miracle; performed by supernatural power; effected by the direct agency of almighty power, and not by natural causes.
- adj. Supernatural; wonderful.
- adj. Wonder-working.
- adj. being or having the character of a miracle
- adj. peculiarly fortunate or appropriate; as if by divine intervention
- Middle English miraclous, from Old French miraculeux, from Medieval Latin mīrāculōsus, from Latin mīrāculum, miracle; see miracle. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The Advertising Standards Authority received 98 complaints that the ads – two versions ran in national press – were offensive and the use of the term "miraculous", especially during Easter, was disrespectful to the Christian faith.”
“A total of 98 people complained to the ASA, citing the cartoon depiction of Christ and the Sacred Heart, the use of the term 'miraculous' and the fact that the advert was published on Maundy Thursday, close to Easter.”
“The ASA said the complaints had cited the cartoon depiction of Christ and the Sacred Heart, the use of the term "miraculous" for describing a mobile phone deal, and the fact that it was published on Maundy Thursday.”
“Amongst the rest, this and madness after a set time comes to many, which he calls a miraculous thing in nature, and sticks for ever to them as an incurable habit.”
“In that case -- well, he felt something very like awe before what he called her miraculous stupidity.”
“Sometimes it refers to what we call miraculous endowments, sometimes it refers to what we may call official capacity; but here it is evidently neither the one nor the other of these more limited and special things, but the general idea of a divine operation upon the human spirit which fills it with”
“And, for God's sake, do not give in to that miserable fancy that because these stories are what you call miraculous, therefore they have nothing to do with you -- that Samson's strength came to him miraculously by God's Spirit, and yet yours comes to you a different way.”
“That man is what we call a miraculous creature, with miraculous power over men; and, on the whole, with such a Life in him, and such a”
“It's crazy," Miller said this week, months into what he calls a miraculous recovery from cyanide and heroin poisoning.”
“There's also a reference to what they call a miraculous event that occurred during the weekend after Terri's feeding tube was removed and -- "Which fundamentally alters the manner in which Terri's claims are to be viewed by the federal courts when Congress, in bipartisan and dramatic fashion, thundered the message that the United States of America must stand for life, accuracy and fairness and in the process afforded an incapacitated woman," that apparently a reference, that miracle reference apparently to Barbara Weller, a lawyer who happens to be a friend of the parents, who said over the weekend that Terri Schiavo apparently tried to mouth the words "I want to live.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘miraculous’.
Words in the Bible evoking biblical stories or with special spiritual meaning. Proper names have been reduced to the minimum.
Adjectives meaning, or approximating to 'drunk'
My Favourite Kind
Poetrie #5. Another auto-Poetrie. My ego, it swells.
Looking Forward To...
Anticipation is a shed
Looking for tweets for miraculous.