American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Difficult or impossible to explain or account for.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Not explicable; incapable of being explained or interpreted; not to be made plain or intelligible: as, an inexplicable mystery.
- Synonyms Unaccountable, incomprehensible, inscrutable, mysterious.
- Trousers; “inexpressibles.”
- adj. Impossible to explain; not easily accounted for.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Not explicable; not explainable; incapable of being explained, interpreted, or accounted for.
- adj. incapable of being explained or accounted for
“Rachel Maddow mocked a Democratic senator on her Thursday show for what she called his "inexplicable" opposition to President Obama's jobs bill.”
“He said other methods of sabotage being used were what he termed inexplicable increases in prices of commodities by businesses and manufacturers here.”
“Bates is still steamed at the Senate, including Senate President Peter Bragdon, for what he calls an "inexplicable flip-flop" on the bill.”
“Economists would call it "inexplicable" because workers who are afraid are supposed to be harder workers.”
“For instance, he continues, as most modern & contemporary poets, too, do, to break his lines in inexplicable places, a kind of game of hide & seek with the reader.”
“We developed spiritual beliefs to explain inexplicable things: to plead for survival, seek food or safety, protect ourselves from storm and drought, and increase fertility.”
“Wrapped in inexplicable garish neon colors and costumes that suggested a cross between Mad Max: Beyond Thurnderdome and Calamity Jane, this production failed to ignite much fire of laughter.”
“And on her unkind face an expression of inexplicable satisfaction.”
“It just so happens that my brain quite recently took trip number three, while I was away in Canada, and the events that followed seem to prove that something sinister and inexplicable is at work here.”
“It is a name inexplicable in Hebrew, and it represents very closely the Parsi”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘inexplicable’.
This is Ghost List 2 ( the kind that go 'boo!' ) :P
( open list )
My list of words.
All my favourite words that I come across!
The ones with which I flavor my speech, and the ones I love to find peppered in literature.
Looking for tweets for inexplicable.