from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. That cannot be dissolved: insoluble matter.
- adj. Difficult or impossible to solve or explain; insolvable: insoluble riddles.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. that cannot be dissolved
- adj. that cannot be solved; insolvable
- adj. that cannot be explained; mysterious or inexplicable
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Not soluble; in capable or difficult of being dissolved, as by a liquid.
- adj. Not to be solved or explained; insolvable.
- adj. Strong.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- That cannot be loosed or undone.
- Not soluble; incapable of being dissolved.
- Incapable of being solved or explained; not susceptible of solution or explanation.
- n. A thing which is insoluble; a problem that cannot be solved.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. admitting of no solution or explanation
- adj. (of a substance) incapable of being dissolved
- adj. without hope of solution
Middle English insolible, from Latin īnsolūbilis : in-, not; see in-1 + solvere, to loosen; see soluble.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin insolubilis (in- + solubilis). (Wiktionary)