from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Impossible to reconcile: irreconcilable differences.
- n. A person, especially a member of a group, who will not compromise, adjust, or submit.
- n. One of two or more conflicting ideas or beliefs that cannot be brought into harmony.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Unable to be reconciled; opposed; uncompromising.
- adj. Incompatible, discrepant, contradictory.
- n. Something that cannot be reconciled.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Not reconcilable; not able to be reconciled or brought into accord; implacable; incompatible; inconsistent; disagreeing.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Not reconcilable; not admitting of reconciliation; that cannot be harmonized or adjusted; incompatible: as, irreconcilable enemies or enmities; irreconcilable principles.
- n. One who refuses reconciliation or compromise; specifically, in politics, one who adheres to an apparently hopeless political program, and refuses to accept concessions from opponents: as, the Irish or French irreconcilables.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. impossible to reconcile
Sorry, no etymologies found.