from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A party engaged in a lawsuit.
- adj. Engaged in a lawsuit.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A party suing or being sued in a lawsuit, or otherwise calling upon the judicial process to determine the outcome of a suit.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Disposed to litigate; contending in law; engaged in a lawsuit.
- n. A person engaged in a lawsuit.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Disposed to litigate; contending in law; engaged in a lawsuit.
- n. One who is a party to a suit at law.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (law) a party to a lawsuit; someone involved in litigation
French, from Old French, from Latin lītigāns, lītigant-, a disputant, from present participle of lītigāre, to bring suit; see litigate.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)