from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person who resists going along with others in a common course of action.
- n. A person who fights against a government.
- n. A device that bars the passage of an electric charge between two points.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who resists.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who resists; one who opposes or withstands.
- n. Specifically, in electricity, a body which offers resistance to the flow of current: said of the substances which transmit current within an electric furnace and become heated because of their resistance.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. someone who systematically obstructs some action that others want to take
- n. someone who offers opposition
Sorry, no etymologies found.