from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One who wrangles or quarrels.
- n. A cowboy or cowgirl, especially one who tends saddle horses.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Someone who wrangles or quarrels
- n. A cowboy who takes care of saddle horses
- n. A cowboy who takes care of tourists
- n. An animal handler or trainer
- n. a student who has completed the third year of the mathematical tripos with first-class honours
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An angry disputant; one who disputes with heat or peevishness.
- n. One of those who stand in the first rank of honors in the University of Cambridge, England. They are called, according to their rank, senior wrangler, second wrangler, third wrangler, etc. Cf. Optime.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Same as horse-wrangler.
- n. One who wrangles or disputes; a debater; especially, an angry or noisy disputant.
- n. A stubborn opponent or adversary.
- n. In Cambridge University, one who has attained the first class in the elementary division of the public examination for honors in pure and mixed mathematics, commonly called the mathematical tripos, those who compose the second rank of honors being designated senior optimes, and those of the third order junior optimes.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. someone who argues noisily or angrily
- n. a cowboy who takes care of the saddle horses
Sorry, no etymologies found.