American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A man who is skilled in the use of swords.
- n. A fencer.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who uses a sword habitually; especially, one skilled in the use of the sword.
- n. A person skilled at using swords in sport or combat; a fencer.
- n. A person who fights with a sword.
- n. informal A man who is a skillful or enthusiastic practitioner of sexual intercourse.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A soldier; a fighting man.
- n. One skilled of a use of the sword; a professor of the science of fencing; a fencer.
- n. someone skilled at fencing
- swords + -man (Wiktionary)
“But the swordsman is going to have a tendency to frame issues as a series of advances and retreats, parries, ripostes, feints and strikes.”
“Throwing dust in the eye of a swordsman is harder than it looks (and more cliche).”
“But the swordsman is really a semi retired computer scientist of the first rank, the sword is tipped with a wormhole a la Morgaine's Changeling, and the talking cat is really the avatar of a planet-sized AI ...”
“Cyrano was a swashbuckling swordsman from the Gascon area of France (similar to the character D’Artagnan by Dumas) and he fought many duels.”
“He was known as a swordsman the nobleman said, boasting a little; he’d picked quarrels with certain men on her behalf, and killed them.”
“No, by swordsman she meant someone who used a heavy broadsword in battle, slashing and hacking.”
“The swordsman was a master of blades, not knots, but he bound the wrists and legs of the Visioness securely enough with cord drawn from the richly brocaded curtains that framed one entryway.”
“Although neither of the combatants was known as a swordsman, épées were chosen as the weapons.”
“Although he didn't have quite the reputation as a "swordsman" as Milton Berle did.”
“When he came up to Cambridge he had a girlfriend from school, and then there were a couple of romances,' she recalls, adding with a laugh that he was no 'swordsman' as a student, 'much as he might like us to think he was.”
Looking for tweets for swordsman.