American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A man skilled in shooting at a target.
- n. A classification in the U.S. Army and Marine Corps for the lowest of three ratings of rifle proficiency.
- n. One who holds this rating.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who is skilful in shooting with a gun or a bow; one who readily hits the mark; a good shooter.
- n. One who, not being able to write, makes his mark instead of signing his name.
- n. A soldier who makes 60 per cent. at target practice at ranges up to 600 yards.
- n. A man skilled in shooting (a gun) at a target.
- n. soccer goalscorer.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. One skillful to hit a mark with a missile; one who shoots well. especially with a pistol or rifle.
- n. (Law) One who makes his mark, instead of writing his name, in signing documents.
- n. someone skilled in shooting
“Faced nagging back trouble earlier in the year, but remains a marksman from the tee who is not afraid to go for it with a championship on the line.”
“There is Invariably a shooting-gallery, where, at a distance of some twelve paces, the bold marksman from the Black Forest pops little shuttlecock bolts from a spring gun at a grotesque figure made of painted wood, which, on being wounded in the 'bull's-eye,' whisks round on a pivot and jerks into its place a lovely woman, also of painted wood.”
“I was not what you might call a marksman in those days, and so I set a bit of [v] hummock about ten yards off as a limit where I could not very conveniently miss, and waited until the bear should come opposite that.”
“On this trip his frontier training and skill as a marksman were the means of saving a life.”
“Now I know Oliver Queen is a bow and arrow expert, but I've seen this guy in the comics too, and a marksman is a marksman.”
“They might allow him "marksman," a lesser honorific.”
“Perhaps it is the same "marksman" who assumes all road signs are merely targets posted for his personal enjoyment.”
“And one of the best rifle shooters I have ever met qualified only as "marksman" in Basic Training.”
“The course of events last night, the type of weapon used, and other indications, which I am not at liberty to disclose, all lead me to the conclusion that the marksman is a professional criminal.””
“Everton FC fans letters: James Vaughan merits regular games at Goodison Trevor Steven: Everton FC ace Tim Cahill has 'marksman's mindset”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘marksman’.
as a youth I, and some others, made a pen-and-paper RPG, based in contemporary crime and suspense fiction + nonfiction, set in America's blighted urban centers, anonymous slurbs, and godforsaken hi...
Sharpshooters and the like.
Looking for tweets for marksman.