from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A learned person; a scholar.
- n. An idiot savant.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person of learning; one who is versed in literature or science.
- n. A person eminent for acquirements.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A man of learning; one versed in literature or science; a person eminent for acquirements.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A man of learning or science; one eminent for learning.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. someone who has been admitted to membership in a scholarly field
French, learned, savant, from Old French, present participle of savoir, to know, from Vulgar Latin sapēre, from Latin sapere, to be wise; see sep- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French savant from Latin sapere. (Wiktionary)