from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A physician who has been accepted by a court of law as an expert on the mental competence of principals or witnesses appearing before it.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An expert in mental illness, especially with reference to legal ramifications.
- n. A psychiatrist or psychologist.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who treats diseases of the mind.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One engaged in the scientific study or treatment of mental diseases.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a psychiatrist and specialist in the legal aspects of mental illness
French aliéniste, from aliéné, insane, from Latin aliēnātus, past participle of aliēnāre, to deprive of reason; see alienate.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French aliéniste, from aliéné, for insane (Wiktionary)