from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One that lights lamps, especially a person hired to light and extinguish gaslit streetlights.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person employed to light streetlights at dusk and snuff them at dawn. An obsolete occupation since lights are now electric, most likely seen in the works of such authors as Charles Dickens, often appearing as a symbolic light-bringing figure.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who, or that which, lights a lamp
- n. The calico bass.
- n. A device used to light lamps.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A person employed to light street-lamps.
- n. Apiece of paper rolled into a spill, used to light lamps.
- n. A torch used for lighting gas-lamps.
- n. The bass (fish).
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (when gas was used for streetlights) a person who lights and extinguishes streetlights
From lamp + lighter (Wiktionary)