from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A physician who treats diseases of the eyes; an ophthalmologist.
- n. An optometrist.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An ophthalmologist
- n. An optometrist
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One skilled in treating diseases of the eye.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A physician whose specialty is diseases or defects of the eye; one skilled in treatment of the eyes; an ophthalmologist.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a person skilled in testing for defects of vision in order to prescribe corrective glasses
- n. a medical doctor specializing in the diagnosis and treatment of diseases of the eye
From Latin oculus, eye; see okw- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)