from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A physician who specializes in ophthalmology.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A medical doctor specializing in the eye: deficiencies of vision requiring correction, and diseases. Compare optometrist.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One skilled in ophthalmology; an oculist.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who is versed in ophthalmology. Also ophthalmist.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a medical doctor specializing in the diagnosis and treatment of diseases of the eye
From ophthalmology; from Ancient Greek οφθαλμός (opthalmos, "eye") + -λογία (-logia, "the study of") (from λόγος (logos)). (Wiktionary)