from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. See alienage.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The fact or position of being an alien; alienage.
- n. The study or treatment of mental disorders; psychiatry.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The status or legal condition of an alien; alienage.
- n. The study or treatment of diseases of the mind.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state of being an alien.
- n. The study and treatment of mental diseases.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an obsolete term for the study and treatment of mental illness
- n. the quality of being alien
From alien + -ism. (Wiktionary)
From French aliénisme, from aliéné in the meaning of "insane" (Wiktionary)