American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Very skilled. See Synonyms at proficient.
- n. A highly skilled person; an expert: "The adepts in Washington mean to give rather than to take” ( Lewis H. Lapham).
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Well skilled; completely versed or acquainted.
- n. One who has attained proficiency; one fully skilled in anything; a proficient or master; specifically, in former times, a proficient in alchemy or magic; a master of occult science, or one who professed to have discovered “the great secret” (namely, of transmuting base metal into gold).
- n. Synonyms Adept, Expert. An adept is one who possesses natural as well as acquired aptitude or skill in anything: as, an adept in the art of governing; an adept in diplomacy, lying, cajolery, whist-playing, etc. An expert, on the other hand, is one whose skill and proficiency are more conspicuously the result of practice or experience, or of an intimate acquaintance with a subject. The term is mostly limited to one possessing special skill or knowledge in some branch, and regarded as an authority on it: as, an expert in alienism, chemistry, penmanship, etc.
- adj. Well skilled; completely versed; thoroughly proficient
- n. One fully skilled or well versed in anything; a proficient; as, adepts in philosophy.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. One fully skilled or well versed in anything; a proficient.
- adj. Well skilled; completely versed; thoroughly proficient.
- adj. having or showing knowledge and skill and aptitude
- n. someone who is dazzlingly skilled in any field
- From French adepte, from Latin adeptus ("who has achieved"), the past participle of adipisci ("to attain"). (Wiktionary)
- Latin adeptus, past participle of adipīscī, to attain : ad-, ad- + apīscī, to grasp. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“WORDS ACCENTED ON THE LAST SYLLABLE: address _address'_ adept _adept'_ adult _adult'_ ally _ally'_ commandant _commandänt '(ä as in arm) _ contour _contour'_ dessert _dessert'_ dilate _dilate'_ excise _eksiz'_ finance _finance'_ grimace _grimace'_ importune _importune'_ occult _occult'_ pretence _pretence'_ research _research'_ robust _robust'_ romance _romance'_ tirade _tirade'_”
“T'Lar, the most learned of them all, had recently and without comment ceased to use the title "adept.”
“Mr. Williams was known as an adept improviser who effortlessly switched between classical, jazz and pop styles.”
“He/she probably meant to use the word adept having or showing knowledge and skill and aptitude.”
“Williams was known as an adept improviser who effortlessly switched between classical, jazz and pop styles.”
“I think a little friendly guide to the new system might help, for us oldsters who are not what you could call adept users.”
“The other two chiefs are a Negro and a Hindoo; the adept is a Malay.”
“If you depend on that and the guy is any kind of adept, you are getting cut, and maybe fatally.”
“Other main characters are Queen Jehanne, former top Night Court "adept" ie former top courtesan of Terre Ange and second wife of King Daniel Courcel, her lover and dabbler in magical arts Raphael de Mereliot, elderly Ch'in wizard Lo Feng and his factotum disciple and martial arts expert Bao who are honored guests of the Angeline court, as well as quite a few others that you will encounter in the fullness of time.”
“And so I over the years have become much more--I don't want to use the word "adept" because that's not really--self-identified and much more persistent about my own perceptions than I have been about what other people's perceptions are.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘adept’.
Building a list for standardized test prep or just for learning some new words! Please add any words that you feel are important for the SAT/GRE/GMAT etc...
The words on this list SAT regulars that I haven't sorted and grouped yet. It's like my wordy holding pen. get it? holding the pen to write a word? HA! I love how lame my humor is.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
broker a peace ac..., client state, deadlocked peace ..., embassy, freeze, goodwill ambassador, hinterland, interfere in dome..., intervene personally, maintain technica..., mediation, no business as usual and 670 more...
These come from gamma meditation ,I think.
Bring forth the cathartic illumination on malignant,maniacal,medical,menage a trios and more egotists stymie
Significant Words- Guiding you on your path to Snazzibility
My list of words.
Looking for tweets for adept.