American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Not apt or fitting; inappropriate.
- adj. Displaying a lack of judgment, sense, or reason; foolish: an inept remark.
- adj. Bungling or clumsy; incompetent: inept handling of the account.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Not apt or fit; unfit; unsuitable; improper; unbecoming.
- adj. Silly; useless; nonsensical; absurd; foolish.
- adj. revealing lack of perceptiveness or judgment or finesse
- adj. not elegant or graceful in expression
- adj. generally incompetent and ineffectual
- From French inepte ("feckless") (Wiktionary)
- Latin ineptus : in-, not; see in-1 + aptus, suitable; see apt. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“I guess "inept" is one way to describe this handling of a national tragedy.”
“My point about blaming the bosses for being inept is proved by the above, because you will not get the backing from them if you deal with incidents like this because the majority are now politicaly correct pen pushers referd to as managers and not police officers.”
“Charlie is forced into running the factory after his father's death, and he is somewhat inept from a business standpoint.”
“It only hits a reset button of building or rebuilding a fanbase, while ignoring the real crux of the issue--long-term inept franchises will not draw fans in *any* market, whether you're Atlanta, Pittsburgh see pre-Crosby, or Chicago.”
“The investigation was called inept and dishonest by the defense, but law enforcement officers in Cary went to great lengths to preserve and analyze all the evidence," Zellinger said.”
“Notice I also used the word inept, as in "poor management".”
“That, or the human race orphaned the word inept by limiting the use of the word ept out of existance.”
“And I've got another, too -- 'inept' -- and that's what you are now, Patricia Kendall.”
“The judicial branch is not typically described as inept, probably because its deliberations are private and the messy give-and-take that precedes opinions is seldom open for analysis.”
“Elsewhere, the idea of inept or failing homeschoolers is being discussed, particularly the comparison between traditionally schooled and homeschooled students, standards for homeschoolers, and the failure of some homeschooling families to deliver a certain type of education.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘inept’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
Words only (I left out the expressions) from Geza Kerenyi's EN-HU interpreters' dictionary. Most of them pose some difficulty when interpreted between HU and EN in either or both directions.
Interesting, there is a traditional vocabulary of an Ukrainian, that differs from vocabulary of average American. It would be nice to explore it.
These come from gamma meditation ,I think.
Words from politics, news, and business
I'm not sure why these catch my eye, but I do enjoy using them.
All my favourite words that I come across!
My big word list.
Looking for tweets for inept.