from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Lacking meaning; senseless.
- adj. Ineffectual: pointless attempts to rescue the victims of the raging fire.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Having no point or sharp tip; terminating squarely or in a rounded end.
- adj. Having no prominent or important feature, as of an argument, discourse, etc.
- adj. Having no purpose; purposeless; unable to effect an aim.
- adj. Without points.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Having no point; blunt; wanting keenness; obtuse
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Having no point; terminating squarely or in a rounded end.
- Without point or force: as, a pointless joke.
- In botany, same as muticous.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. serving no useful purpose; having no excuse for being
- adj. not having a point especially a sharp point
Russia's most famous poet, Alexander Pushkin, coined the phrase "pointless and merciless" which is known to almost all Russians in a description of 18th century peasant revolts.
When is the alteration of a landmark for a new use so extensive as to render the designation pointless?
Russian president Vladimir Putin lashing out at the U.S. for conducting what he calls a pointless war in Iraq.
Putin is now urging the U.S. to set a date for withdrawing from what he calls a pointless war in Iraq.
Anyone who calls the event "pointless" is myopic at best.
#5: Oklahoma would have to take the cake in pointless alcohol regulation
Oklahoma would have to take the cake in pointless alcohol regulation, where beer over 3.2% alcohol has to be sold in liquor stores, and kept warm until sold.
Avoiding involvement in pointless and counter-productive wars
No one wants to spend day after day in pointless meetings, doing performance reviews, approving expense reports, etc.
He can't just mope about and claim that Rose and Donna are better off now that he's stranded them in pointless backwaters and get away with my sympathies.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.