American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Lacking moisture, especially having insufficient rainfall to support trees or woody plants: an arid climate.
- adj. Lacking interest or feeling; lifeless and dull: a technically perfect but arid musical performance.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Dry; without moisture; parched with heat; hence, figuratively, uninteresting, lifeless, dull, pithless, etc.
- adj. Very dry.
- adj. Describing a very dry climate. Typically defined as less than 25 cm or 10 inches of rainfall annually.
- adj. Devoid of value.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Exhausted of moisture; parched with heat; dry; barren.
- adj. lacking sufficient water or rainfall
- adj. lacking vitality or spirit; lifeless.
- Latin āridus, from ārēre, to be dry; see as- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Still, the book is often read in arid isolation, as merely a prophetic anticipation of more modern economic theory.”
“Taking this into account, the project hopes to combine desalination plants and agriculture along with the solar plants to provide fresh drinking water and grow crops in arid desert region.”
“Is Brooks talking about the movie industry in arid Hollywood, CA?”
“It is commonly found in arid climate areas to provide protection from direct sun exposure, as well as for occasional use in protecting the mouth and eyes from blown dust and sand ...”
“Cultivation: The candleabra cactus grows in arid conditions to a height of almost 40 feet, branching from a single trunk.”
“Closed irrigation canals are a must in arid regions.”
“Villages, their white buildings like cubes of feta flung from the sky by the gods, clinging to the slopes of mountains, teetering on cliff edges, nestling in arid inland valleys.”
“The verdict is out on silver nitrate - it seems to work at 55% humidity and above, but that does not do much in arid areas.”
“Like the cachanilla, a sturdy desert plant that flowers in arid, saline soil, Mexicali has flourished at the edge of the harsh Sonoran Desert and bloomed as one of Mexico's most prosperous communities.”
“Human activities in arid urban environments can affect rainfall and water cycle”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘arid’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
Descriptors to use at your next wine-tasting
I marvel at the amazing variety of four-letter words in the English language. And that's not even counting really common (to me) words like fuck.
List of most of the words I've learned
Taisha GRE Bible
The path meanders through the vineyards
Looking for tweets for arid.