American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Covered with, full of, or consisting of sand.
- adj. Having characteristics similar to sand.
- adj. Of the color of sand; light yellowish brown.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Consisting of or containing sand; abounding in sand; covered or sprinkled with sand: as, a sandy desert or plain; a sandy road or soil.
- Resembling sand; hence, unstable; shifting; not firm or solid.
- Dry; arid; uninteresting.
- Of the color of sand; of a yellowish-red color: as, sandy hair.
- n. Same as sandy laverock (which see, under laverock).
- n. A Scotsman, especially a Lowlander.
- n. A Tasmanian fish, Uphritis urvillii. Also called the freshwater flathead.
- adj. Covered with sand.
- adj. Sprinkled with sand.
- adj. Like sand, especially in texture.
- adj. Having the colour of sand.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Consisting of, abounding with, or resembling, sand; full of sand; covered or sprinkled with sand.
- adj. Of the color of sand; of a light yellowish red color.
- adj. resembling or containing or abounding in sand; or growing in sandy areas
- adj. of hair color; pale yellowish to yellowish brown
- sand + -y (Wiktionary)
“Compton rode near the back of the leaders over the opening circuit and when Bruno-Roy touched down in sandy, loose dirt in the 120-degree corner at the bottom of the course, Compton seized the opportunity and jumped on the ensuing climb.”
“Anyone who unduly trusts the solid look of the basalt cobbles and wishes to go elsewhere will immediately be mired in sandy excavations, amid the blank walls of apartment buildings, under windows drawn in chalk directly onto the plaster.”
“However, some municipalities are putting in sandy beaches for swimmers.”
“The next time I bought one from the gardening shop and it thrives just great in sandy ground!”
“Field boundaries scratched into the soil are an especially elusive nonnarrative way of remembering shared experience, and their impermanence and vulnerability to covert adjustment (especially in sandy soils) render them not only highly unstable as memories but also readily available as weapons of social exclusion in times of shortage or distress.”
“Three hundred thousand corpses in sandy mass graves cry out that the war was just.”
“There is evidence that some landslides, particularly those in sandy soils common in the”
“To grow your own, stake branches of about 40 centimeters in sandy soil with good drainage, and water regularly.”
“After they are transplanted, we are told that "the soil best adapted to the growth of tobacco is a light, friable one, or what is commonly called a sandy loam; not too flat, but rolling, undulating land.”
“-- The soil is what is usually called a sandy loam; it is moderately rich, being well mixed with vegetable matter.”
The Commercial Products of the Vegetable Kingdom Considered in Their Various Uses to Man and in Their Relation to the Arts and Manufactures; Forming a Practical Treatise & Handbook of Reference for the Colonist, Manufacturer, Merchant, and Consumer, on the Cultivation, Preparation for Shipment, and Commercial Value, &c. of the Various Substances Obtained From Trees and Plants, Entering into the Husbandry of Tropical and Sub-tropical Regions, &c.
These user-created lists contain the word ‘sandy’.
Names of girls in song titles. Not in the lyrics, just in the titles.
Just the name on the list, then the full title with any identifying notes in the comments, please.
Can be the same ...
The many textures of touch.
tiara's color lists rebuilt :)
( visual, colors, red, descriptive, randomness )
A nitty-gritty list for words containing sand-, -sand-, or -sand; and apropos terms and phrases. Your contributions are welcome.
List of Girls names.
Given names that were acceptable for play the last time I checked the OWL.
Also known as Yes, we hurricane.
A collective effort to list all first names that are also hurricane/cyclone/tropical storm names.
The only rules are
I loathe golf, but I love the olde fashioned names for the clubs.
Vendors can get oddly creative.
Words that have been used as baby names, including virtue names, nature names, place names, etc.
The title is an actual name given to a Puritan boy in the 17th century.
Words I Like
Looking for tweets for sandy.