from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of a golden color; gilded.
- adj. Inflated and pompous in style.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. golden in color or shine
- adj. characterized by inflated or pompous language
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Golden; gilded.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Golden; gilded; golden-yellow, as a flower.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. elaborately or excessively ornamented
- adj. having the deep slightly brownish color of gold
Middle English aureat, from Late Latin aureātus, from aureus, golden, from aurum, gold.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
This definition is lacking an etymology or has an incomplete etymology. You can help Wiktionary by giving it a proper etymology. (Wiktionary)