from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, consisting of, or resembling earth: an earthy smell.
- adj. Of or characteristic of this world; worldly.
- adj. Crude or off-color; indecent: an earthy joke.
- adj. Hearty or uninhibited; natural: an earthy enjoyment of life.
- adj. Unadorned and simple in style: an earthy homemade stew.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Resembling dirt or soil (i.e. earth).
- adj. Down to earth, un-artificed, natural.
- adj. Like or resembling the earth or of the earth.
- adj. Covered with earth (mud, dirt).
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Consisting of, or resembling, earth; terrene; earthlike.
- adj. Of or pertaining to the earth or to, this world; earthly; terrestrial; carnal.
- adj. Gross; low; unrefined.
- adj. Without luster, or dull and roughish to the touch.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or pertaining to earth; consisting of earth; partaking of the nature of earth; terrene: as, earthy matter.
- Resembling earth or some of the properties of earth: as, an earthy taste or smell.
- Inhabiting the earth; earthly.
- Gross; not refined.
- In mineralogy, without luster, or dull, and roughish to the touch.
- In chem., having the general character of the substances known as earths, and of their compounds: as, an earthy salt.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of or consisting of or resembling earth
- adj. not far removed from or suggestive of nature
- adj. conspicuously and tastelessly indecent
- adj. sensible and practical
- adj. hearty and lusty
Sorry, no etymologies found.