American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Of or characteristic of a brute.
- adj. Crude in feeling or manner.
- adj. Sensual; carnal.
- adj. Rough; uncivilized: "the Mesabi Iron Range, a brutish stretch of maroon hillocks” ( John McCormick).
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or pertaining to a brute or brutes.
- Like a brute; characteristic of brutes. Unfeeling; savage; ferocious; brutal.
- Gross; carnal; bestial.
- Uncultured; unrefined; ignorant; stupid; insensible.
- Synonyms Brutal, Beastly, etc. (see brute), dull, barbarous, animal, sensual.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Pertaining to, or resembling, a brute or brutes; of a cruel, gross, and stupid nature; coarse; unfeeling; unintelligent.
- adj. resembling a beast; showing lack of human sensibility
- From brute + -ish (Wiktionary)
“II. vii.66 (269,8) [As sensual as the brutish sting] Though the _brutish sting_ is capable of a sense not inconvenient in this passage, yet as it is a harsh and unusual mode of speech, I should read the”
“You were described as a brutish creature, lacking the simplest of manners.”
“It was an awful thought to me, ever present on those Sundays, and haunting me at other times; that men, women and children were living in brutish degradation, and that as they died others would take their place.”
“The qwen pictures I find interesting because I am so large, because I have been called brutish, threatening, dominating, a danger, physcially incapable of knowing my own strength.”
“This among the sons of men, the worms of the earth, would be called a brutish affection.”
“The "mouth" and "eyes" are those of a man, while the symbol is otherwise brutish, that is, it will assume man's true dignity, namely, wear the guise of the kingdom of God (which comes as the "Son of man" from above), while it is really bestial, namely, severed from God.”
“After incidents of what some called brutish Chinese behavior toward foreign fishing vessels, the Obama administration, determined to show that the U.S. is still a major Pacific power, has been conducting naval maneuvers with countries such as Vietnam and the Philippines.”
“But flagrant fabrications such as "Obama liking Reagan's policies" hurts not only Obama in terms of voters who may believe it, and Hillary, for those who don't, but it hurts the Democrats because it represents the kind of brutish, deceptive politics Americans now routinely hate.”
“It makes a kind of brutish sense if you don't think about it too hard.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘brutish’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Words as I learn them.
By Thomas Paine. Published on December 23, 1776 (later published as The American Crisis). Posted here as excerpts, not in entirety.
THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer s...
Looking for tweets for brutish.