American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Accompanied by bloodshed.
- adj. Eager for bloodshed; bloodthirsty.
- adj. Consisting of blood.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Consisting of blood; formed of blood: as, a sanguinary stream.
- Bloody; attended with much bloodshed or carnage: as, a sanguinary encounter.
- Bloodthirsty; eager to shed blood; characterized by cruelty.
- Synonyms and Sanguinary, Bloody. Sanguinary refers to the shedding of blood, or pleasure in the shedding of blood;’ bloody refers to the presence or, by extension, the shedding of blood: as, a sanguinary battle; the sanguinary spirit of Jenghiz Khan; a bloody knife or battle.
- n. The yarrow or milfoil: probably so called from its fabled use in stanching blood.
- n. The bloodroot, Sanguinaria Canadensis.
- adj. Attended with bloodshed.
- adj. Eager to shed blood; bloodthirsty.
- adj. Consisting of, covered with or similar in appearance to blood.
- n. A bloodthirsty person.
- n. The plant yarrow, or herba sanguinaria.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Attended with much bloodshed; bloody; murderous.
- adj. Bloodthirsty; cruel; eager to shed blood.
- n. The yarrow.
- n. The Sanguinaria.
- adj. marked by eagerness to resort to violence and bloodshed
- adj. accompanied by bloodshed
- From Latin sanguinarius. (Wiktionary)
- Latin sanguinārius, from sanguis, sanguin-, blood. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The despair of the flying Goths found some consolation in sanguinary revenge; and three hundred youths of the noblest families, who had been sent as hostages beyond the Po, were inhumanly slain by the successor of Totila.”
“April morning to recall the sanguinary history of the Glen.”
“At the same time, under the influence of Adelaide's nervous nature, the vices which in the father assumed a kind of sanguinary frankness were in the son tinged with an artfulness full of hypocrisy and cowardice.”
“Louis, despite a most sanguinary array of butcher-knives and a big poker, pins his cook's faith on hot water and sees to it that two kettles are always piping on top the cabin stove.”
“Quite a sanguinary turn, I should say," Uncle Robert remarked.”
“It was the very bench Tom Henan had sat upon that last sanguinary day of life.”
“Flourishing it in a sanguinary manner and scowling fearsomely, I charged upon the invaders.”
“An outcast himself from the pack of the part-grown dogs, his sanguinary methods and remarkable efficiency made the pack pay for its persecution of him.”
“A fatal inefficiency, coupled with possession of the most marvelous devices for taking life, prevents them from succeeding more than very rarely in their sanguinary efforts for the regeneration of the world.”
“A little later, when the sun was quite down, in the background of the curdled clouds smouldered a wine-red mass of colour, that faded to bronze and tinged all the fading greens with its sanguinary hue.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘sanguinary’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
Every time I finally decipher Kevin Barnes's song lyrics, I feel somewhat smarter.
These are strange/big/obscure words and phrases from the lyrics of the band 'of Montreal' (intentiona...
Please use the lowercase form of words that don’t usually appear as proper names (unless the word should be capitalized for other reasons). Words that are used primarily or exclusively as names (e...
Words that taste of violence, trauma, blood and brain, gore-some and slippery with vitreous humours. Lovely words, some of them! And the loveliest thing is how many of them are so *effective*, ma...
Adjectives referring to blood
These words are from Samuel Richardson's novel Clarissa, Or, The History of a Young Lady, 1747-48
List of most of the words I've learned
Words from the new GRE : This list consists mostly of words from the book Magoosh-GRE-vocab-ebook, which is one of the best vocab materials available, especially if you have started preparing one ...
Commonly Confused Words
Words as I learn them.
My words, generally
Looking for tweets for sanguinary.