from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Contending or acting against; as, antagonistic forces.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Opposing in combat, combating; contending or acting against.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Contending against; acting in opposition; mutually opposing; opposite.
- n. Something that acts in an antagonistic manner; specifically, a muscle whose action counteracts that of another.
- In the psychology of visual sensation, complementary: as, blue and yellow are antagonistic colors.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. characterized by antagonism or antipathy
- adj. indicating opposition or resistance
- adj. incapable of harmonious association
- adj. arousing animosity or hostility
- adj. used especially of drugs or muscles that counteract or neutralize each other's effect
From antagonist + -ic (Wiktionary)