from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Counteracting or neutralizing acidity, especially of the stomach.
- n. A substance, such as magnesia or sodium bicarbonate, that neutralizes acid.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An agent that counteracts or neutralizes acidity, especially in the stomach.
- adj. Counteracting or neutralizing acidity, especially in the stomach.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A remedy for acidity of the stomach, as an alkali or absorbent.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In therapeutics, an alkali used as a remedy for acidity in the stomach.
- Counteracting acidity.
- Also written anti-acid.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an agent that counteracts or neutralizes acidity (especially in the stomach)
- adj. acting to neutralize acid (especially in the stomach)
Sorry, no etymologies found.
They're called antacid - type medications, to basically thwart the effects, if you will, of some of these anti-inflammatories.
As much as we'd like to try unique flavors, cake with garlicky marinara sounds like it's screaming for antacid ... or a tongue transplant.
If you'd let me call my doctor he would have told you I had a hiatal hernia and I need an antacid—or better yet, a Nexium.
Outside the tent, there is a "help yourself" first-aid station with bandages, antacid, witch hazel, calamine lotion and vitamins.
Since consumers typically must forfeit unused funds by year's end, they often ended up scrambling in December to drain their funds by loading up on aspirin, antacid and the like.
EE shares many symptoms with acid reflux, so a doctor will first prescribe an antacid like ZANTAC.
The Smith family claims the nurse administered Pancuronium, a muscle relaxant, instead of the antacid Pepcid.
Rajiv Chandrasekaran's Imperial Life in the Emerald City is an insightful book that will have American taxpayers reaching for the antacid as he follows suitcases filled with US dollar bills down the rabbit hole in Iraq.
Effect of antacid and H2 receptor antagonists on the intestinal absorption of folic acid.
The lawsuit alleges drugstore chain Walgreen and generic pharmaceutical maker Par established a partnership in which Par manufactured and/or marketed generic versions of antacid Zantac and antidepressant Prozac in dosage forms that weren't subject to private and governmental reimbursement limitations.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.