from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A washing, especially of a hollow organ, such as the stomach or lower bowel, with repeated injections of water.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A washing.
- n. A washing of a hollow organ.
- v. To wash a hollow organ
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- An obsolete form of lavish.
- n. A laving or washing; in medicine, the process of cleansing by injection of fluids; specifically, the washing out of the stomach, as in gastritis.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. washing out a hollow organ (especially the stomach) by flushing with water
French, from Old French, from laver, to wash, from Latin lavāre; see leu(ə)- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)