American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The state, quality, or degree of being acid.
- n. Hyperacidity.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The quality of being acid or sour; sourness; tartness; sharpness to the taste.
- n. The quality or state of being acid
- n. The quality of sour; sourness; tartness; sharpness to the taste, as in the acidity of lemon juice.
- n. pathology Excessive acid quality, as in gastric secretions.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The quality of being sour; sourness; tartness; sharpness to the taste.
- n. the taste experience when something acidic is taken into the mouth
- n. pH values below 7
- n. the property of being acidic
- From French acidité, from Latin aciditātem, accusative singular of aciditās ("sourness, acidity"), from acidus ("sour, acid"). See acid. (Wiktionary)
“Taste again when the acidity is at a level you like.”
“No doubt it’s true that the oceans increase in acidity is all made up, too.”
“Lemon's acidity is what some people like but not me.”
“It is not unfair to criticize CA wine for all kinds of things, and going after Chardonnay for being overoaked, overripe, low in acidity is by now a path that has been trod by virtually everyone at some time.”
“Someone once said that the first requirement of any great vintage is that it be low in acidity, but my experience has been completely contrary to this assertion, and I strongly believe that the greatest vintages one sees down through the ages are those that are on the high side in terms of acidity and coupled with ripe, but not overripe fruit.”
“With CA bubblies now high in acidity and minerality, because of where they are grown, the differences at the non-vintage level seem to favor CA by a wide margin when price is factored in.”
“I mean, you say acidity is especially undervalued as a general flavor booster.”
“One wine might be big and rich, perhaps even blowsy, while another is high in acidity with a decidedly minerally edge.”
“The acidity is bright, almost brash, and the finish is medium-long and dry.”
“The acidity is damn near perfect and the finish is long.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘acidity’.
All the scientific words found in the official EU nomenclature. For the screening I used Vocabgrabber of the Visual Thesaurus.
includes words of the "Prodcom list"
Looking for tweets for acidity.