Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state or quality of being bitter, in any of the senses of that word.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The quality or state of being bitter, sharp, or acrid, in either a literal or figurative sense; implacableness; resentfulness; severity; keenness of reproach or sarcasm; deep distress, grief, or vexation of mind.
- n. A state of extreme impiety or enmity to God.
- n. Dangerous error, or schism, tending to draw persons to apostasy.
- n. a feeling of deep and bitter anger and ill-will
- n. the property of having a harsh unpleasant taste
- n. a rough and bitter manner
- n. the taste experience when quinine or coffee is taken into the mouth
- bitter + -ness (Wiktionary)
“And as my bitterness began with you, in the end the bitterness is all that is left.”
“He later learned that when cooked with the peel, the bitterness is avoided.”
“Diane your bitterness is showing and it is not attractive.”
“My days in the forest drains all the bitterness from the grind and restores the soul of the hunter gatherer.”
“So White Fang could only eat his heart in bitterness and develop a hatred and malice commensurate with the ferocity and indomitability of his nature.”
“It was horrible, no doubt, but I didn't wallow in bitterness, blame or victimhood.”
“And bitterness is just such a wasted time and emotion.”
“It's intensely anise flavored and the wormwood bitterness is pleasingly apparent at the start.”
“OK, so some might think this is residual Obama bitterness from the primary.”
“There will be heartache and bitterness from the children and other relatives, for years to come.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘bitterness’.
Words about beer and the making of it.
In this area of expertise nouns are frequently used as adjectives (almond, bacon, cider, diesel, fennel, fresh-cut hay, wool) or new adjectives are formed (appley, berrylike, citrusy, full-bodied, ...
There's a fiction meme (mostly on Livejournal) where writers use words as a prompt for a short story snippet. I've been collecting the words that show up on these lists as prompts for creative writ...
learning new words
Looking for tweets for bitterness.