from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The state or emotion of being sad.
- n. An event in one's life that causes sadness.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Heaviness; firmness.
- n. Seriousness; gravity; discretion.
- n. Quality of being sad, or unhappy; gloominess; sorrowfulness; dejection.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Heaviness; weight; firmness; strength.
- n. Steadiness; steadfastness; constancy.
- n. Seriousness; gravity; discretion; sedateness; sobriety; sober earnest.
- n. The state of being sad or sorrowful; sorrowfulness; mournfulness; dejection of mind: as, sadness in the remembrance of loss.
- n. A melancholy look; gloom of countenance.
- n. Synonyms Grief, Sorrow, etc. (see affliction); despondency, melancholy, depression.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. emotions experienced when not in a state of well-being
- n. the state of being sad
- n. the quality of excessive mournfulness and uncheerfulness
sad + -ness (Wiktionary)