Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Heaviness; weight; firmness; strength.
- n. Steadiness; steadfastness; constancy.
- n. Seriousness; gravity; discretion; sedateness; sobriety; sober earnest.
- n. The state of being sad or sorrowful; sorrowfulness; mournfulness; dejection of mind: as, sadness in the remembrance of loss.
- n. A melancholy look; gloom of countenance.
- n. Synonyms Grief, Sorrow, etc. (see affliction); despondency, melancholy, depression.
- n. uncountable The state or emotion of being sad.
- n. countable An event in one's life that causes sadness.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. obsolete Heaviness; firmness.
- n. obsolete Seriousness; gravity; discretion.
- n. Quality of being sad, or unhappy; gloominess; sorrowfulness; dejection.
- n. emotions experienced when not in a state of well-being
- n. the state of being sad
- n. the quality of excessive mournfulness and uncheerfulness
- sad + -ness (Wiktionary)
“For who would willingly speak on these subjects, if as often as we used the term sadness or fear, we should thereby be compelled to be sad or fearful?”
“Sure this dusty road has been walked before, but the band are pretty savvy wallowers: They understand their sadness is an American institution and that part of the tragedy of their roots revival is that this heartbreaking music needs to be revived at all.”
“You wouldn't think of the phrase "bent-backed" or the word "sadness" were you to see the current exhibition at The de Young Museum in San Francisco titled The Masters of Venice.”
“You wouldn't think of the phrase "bent-backed" or the word "sadness" were you to see the current exhibition at The de Young Museum in San Francisco titled”
“Yet Joe's "sadness" is reserved only for John McCain.”
“Cloture would fail and then Lott would “more in sadness than in anger” withdraw the measure.”
“Tibetans around me were shaking their heads in sadness, because they were fearful for him, and others were openly agreeing with him.”
“The only sadness is that Patrick Steptoe has not lived to see this day because it was always a joint team effort," Ledger said.”
“This particular line of revisionism is discredited with anyone who even wants to try and play the game. 9/11 truthers probably have more going for them than “land without a people, people without a land” fantacism. more in sadness Says:”
“Keetha, the sadness is in the middle and the then the book moves quickly on.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘sadness’.
words denoting depression, melancholy or general lack of contentment
New word list
by Malcolm Alexander
If you wish to be wealthy, duck beneath
the topcoat of a well-dressed river
until you come up with a mossy boot
filled with shiners. Spend them w...
If sadness were a cloud of words ....
by Clive James
The book of my enemy has been remaindered
And I am pleased.
In vast quantities it has been remaindered
Like a van-load of counterfeit that has been sei...
love love love
Everything I've ever held an interest in.
Looking for tweets for sadness.