from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The condition of being uncertain; doubt.
- n. Something uncertain: the uncertainties of modern life.
- n. Statistics The estimated amount or percentage by which an observed or calculated value may differ from the true value.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. doubt; the condition of being uncertain or without conviction.
- n. Something uncertain or ambiguous.
- n. (mathematics) A parameter that measures the dispersion of a range of measured values.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The quality or state of being uncertain.
- n. That which is uncertain; something unknown.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The character or state of being uncertain; want of certainty.
- n. Of persons: a state of doubt; a state in which one knows not what to think or do; hesitation; irresolution.
- n. Something not certainly or exactly known; anything not determined, settled, or established; a contingency.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the state of being unsure of something
- n. being unsettled or in doubt or dependent on chance
The next few hours were for me fraught with fearful anxiety and uncertainty, -- yes, _uncertainty_, -- for (to my shame, let it be recorded) I actually debated in my own mind whether or not to desert these unfortunate boys of mine, who could not themselves escape the threatened danger.
For example, we use the term uncertainty all the time in science.
This uncertainty is the book's strength - although I wish that there were some note at the beginning or end to explain where fiction and history live in the story.
This uncertainty is a big deterrent to traders eyeing Indian bourses.
I also think that many Christians are so allergic to uncertainty that they label uncertainty (or "doubt") as flat "unbelief" (and therefore unfaithfulness).
Adding to the uncertainty is the fact that NBC has indicated that the long-running sudser may not be safe beyond 2009 as well as declining ratings and the fact that current storylines are … well, in a word, bad.
Who wants to accept the fact that we are going to have a period of extreme uncertainty for some time into the future, and that investor confidence in our country has, and will, decline as long as this uncertainty is there?
"Looking beyond short term uncertainty however, it is our firm belief that we have proved our ability to deal with unfavorable market fundamentals, and we believe we are poised to benefit from any future recovery in dry bulk shipping and continue our growth."
But our being left at this uncertainty is an intimation that these things are to be understood spiritually, and that what is principally meant is that there is an exact and just proportion observed by Infinite Wisdom in modelling the gospel church, which though now we cannot discern we shall when we come to heaven.
Instead, he spoke to reporters a day later, and told them he was resigning because of what he termed uncertainty with the ownership situation.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.