from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The condition of being uncertain; doubt.
- n. Something uncertain: the uncertainties of modern life.
- n. Statistics The estimated amount or percentage by which an observed or calculated value may differ from the true value.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. doubt; the condition of being uncertain or without conviction.
- n. Something uncertain or ambiguous.
- n. (mathematics) A parameter that measures the dispersion of a range of measured values.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The quality or state of being uncertain.
- n. That which is uncertain; something unknown.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The character or state of being uncertain; want of certainty.
- n. Of persons: a state of doubt; a state in which one knows not what to think or do; hesitation; irresolution.
- n. Something not certainly or exactly known; anything not determined, settled, or established; a contingency.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the state of being unsure of something
- n. being unsettled or in doubt or dependent on chance
un- + certainty. (Wiktionary)