from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Lack of trust or confidence arising from suspicion. See Synonyms at uncertainty.
- transitive v. To regard without trust or confidence.
- intransitive v. To be wary, suspicious, or doubtful.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Lack of trust or confidence.
- v. To have no confidence in something
- v. To be wary, suspicious or doubtful
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Want of confidence or trust; suspicion; distrust.
- transitive v. To regard with jealousy or suspicion; to suspect; to doubt the integrity of; to distrust.
- transitive v. To forebode as near, or likely to occur; to surmise.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To suspect; doubt; regard with suspicion or jealousy.
- To suspect; apprehend: said of a fact or circumstance.
- n. Lack of trust or confidence; suspicion.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the trait of not trusting others
- n. doubt about someone's honesty
- v. regard as untrustworthy; regard with suspicion; have no faith or confidence in
Such mistrust is abundantly evident, time and again, in the very books presumably designed to reduce it in the name of relationship building.
They decide to take her up on it, but there is mistrust from the beginning because they don’t know what this woman is hiding up her sleeve, the actress smiles.
The sense of fear, suspicion, and mistrust is shown as pervasive, and it’s suggested that the only exceptional thing about Dreyman’s being under surveillance is how long it took.
"But I think there are a lot of egos involved and a lot of mistrust, which is why we're not seeing any consensus," she said.
His mistrust is the surest sign of his weakness, which shows itself when he encounters real opponents.
Representatives of the world powers replied that the heart of the mistrust is the Iranian nuclear program, the source said.
I'm placing Astonishing here, as story elements from that book inform what Bru & Carey are doing in the main titles mistrust of Xavier, Scott & Emma's relationship status, Kitty & Piotr being back.
But her mistrust is a little of the latest to do her service!
Her world had become a very scary place, and the wound he had inflicted with his mistrust was the most raw of all.
His mistrust was his own; and Nesta was not; not yet; though a step would make her his own.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.