from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The state of being reluctant; unwillingness.
- n. Physics A measure of the opposition to magnetic flux, analogous to electric resistance.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Unwillingness to do something.
- n. Hesitancy in taking some action.
- n. That property of a magnetic circuit analogous to resistance in an electric circuit.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The state or quality of being reluctant; repugnance; aversion of mind; unwillingness; -- often followed by an infinitive, or by to and a noun, formerly sometimes by against.
- n. Magnetic resistance, being equal to the ratio of magnetomotive force to magnetic flux.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state of being reluctant; aversion; repugnance; unwillingness: often followed by to, sometimes by against.
- n. Synonyms Hatred, Dislike (see antipathy), backwardness, disinclination. See list under aversion.
- n. In electricity, the resistance to magnetic flux: the reciprocal of permeance. The unit of reluctance is the oersted, which is the reluctance of a magnetic circuit in which a unit of magnetomotive force will produce unit flux.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a certain degree of unwillingness
- n. (physics) opposition to magnetic flux (analogous to electric resistance)
Sorry, no etymologies found.