American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The state or quality of being hesitant.
- n. An instance of hesitating.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A pausing or halting before beginning a task, often as a result of some fear or uncertainty about the outcome.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The act of hesitating, or pausing to consider; slowness in deciding; vacillation; also, the manner of one who hesitates.
- n. A stammering; a faltering in speech.
- n. a feeling of diffidence and indecision about doing something
- n. a certain degree of unwillingness
- hesitant + -cy (Wiktionary)
“This isn't to say that such hesitancy is entirely unmerited; just as there are Christians who seem to have the sole mission of converting others to their religion, there are many atheists who only engage with people of faith in hopes of convincing them to abandon their tenants.”
“However, we expect a certain hesitancy of line in an early work.”
“It is my belief that the formula proposed in the message I sent yesterday should be adopted without any hesitancy, that is, a heavily fortified defensive position using an amount of soldiers not to exceed the size of a brigade, which should be maintained at the eastern section of the river.”
“The principal reason for my hesitancy was his treatment of the Anti-Slavery people of the border slave States, and especially of Missouri.”
“I'm really scared to go there," she said, referring to her hesitancy in talking about the cremation.”
“Of course buyer hesitancy, which is understandable, is delaying the work-down in new home levels, as well.”
“SNOW (voice-over): And it's that kind of hesitancy that health officials are trying to overcome.”
“And because that person was very shrewd in approaching writers who had just that kind of hesitancy, lack of business sense, unwillingness to negotiate, low self-esteem, or whatever.”
“This kind of hesitancy to phlegmatically answer a factual question bothers me a bit.”
“And right now there's no indication that anyone has any kind of hesitancy like that.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘hesitancy’.
Looking for tweets for hesitancy.