from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The quality or state of being diffident; timidity or shyness.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The state of being diffident, timid or shy; reticence or self-effacement.
- n. Mistrust, distrust, lack of confidence in someone or something.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The state of being diffident; distrust; want of confidence; doubt of the power, ability, or disposition of others.
- n. Distrust of one's self or one's own powers; lack of self-reliance; modesty; modest reserve; bashfulness.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Distrust; want of confidence in regard to anything; doubt of the ability or disposition of others.
- n. More especially, distrust of one's self; want of confidence in one's own ability, worth, or fitness; retiring disposition; modest reserve; shyness.
- n. Synonyms Modesty, Shyness, etc. (see bashfulness), fear, timidity, hesitation, apprehension.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. lack of self-confidence
Sorry, no etymologies found.