American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The quality or condition of being humble.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state or character of being humble; freedom from pride and arrogance; lowliness of mind; a low estimate of one's self; self-abasement.
- n. . An act of submission.
- n. A name of several different tattlers or totanine birds of the family Scolopacidæ. The semipalmated tattler or willet, Symphemia semipalmata.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The state or quality of being humble; freedom from pride and arrogance; lowliness of mind; a modest estimate of one's own worth; a sense of one's own unworthiness through imperfection and sinfulness; self-abasement; humbleness.
- n. An act of submission or courtesy.
- n. a humble feeling
- n. a disposition to be humble; a lack of false pride
- From Middle English humilite, from Old French (h)umilité, from Latin humilitas ("lowness, meanness, baseness, in Late Latin humility"), from humilis ("low, lowly, humble, earth"); see humble. (Wiktionary)
- Middle English humilite, from Old French, from Late Latin humilitās, from humilis, humble; see humble. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“For many people, the word humility has come to signify humiliation or self-derogation.”
“And a lot of risk, the strategy that General McChrystal is proposing, means more forces out on foot patrols, interacting with civilian populations and doing it in a way, I believe the term humility is the term General McChrystal continues to used, that means exposing themselves in a bigger way.”
“To have been such a star for so long and still to have maintained his humility is a matter worthy of applause.”
“That those who humble themselves shall be exalted, and shall be established in their dignity: Honour shall uphold the humble in spirit; their humility is their honour, and that shall make them truly and safely great, and recommend them to the esteem of all that are wise and good.”
“The Greek for "humility" is literally, "lowliness of mind," which forms a clearer parallel to”
“Only in humility can we begin to find the beauty in everything.”
“My personal appreciation that I owe a great debt to others reinforces my view that a certain humility should characterize the judicial role.”
“And that immediately set him apart from the hero, who had a certain humility to his gait.”
“We pledge that when we disagree, we will do so respectfully, without falsely impugning the other's motives, attacking the other's character, or questioning the other's faith, and recognizing in humility that in our limited, human opinions, "we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror" (1 Corinthians 13: 12).”
“The "facile historicism" championed by conservatives was really "little more than arrogance cloaked in humility," he declared in 1985, saying that "the genius of the Constitution" lay in "the adaptability of its great principles to cope with current problems.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘humility’.
The words on this list SAT regulars that I haven't sorted and grouped yet. It's like my wordy holding pen. get it? holding the pen to write a word? HA! I love how lame my humor is.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
Key terms from Mitt Romney's election campaign
good and generous..., hard fought election, go back to work, optimistic and po..., confident in the ..., optimism, uniquely American, nation of immigrants, want a better life, life in that plac..., pursuit of the ri..., richness of this ... and 369 more...
Words in the Bible evoking biblical stories or with special spiritual meaning. Proper names have been reduced to the minimum.
TABLE OF PROPOSED RULES TO LIVE BY
The Golden Rule Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
The Silver Rule Do not do unto others what you would not have them do un...
an immense, grandiloquent list that loads like a thousand years sentence in stone. new words are in the other lists.
All my favourite words that I come across!
My big word list.
Looking for tweets for humility.